(Click any image above to redirect to its listing.)
Just eight miles north of Framingham and 20 miles west of Boston is the relatively small town of Sudbury, Massachusetts. As well known for its rich history as it is for its vibrant present, Sudbury has a great deal to offer those who are seeking a lively, yet suburban area.
Sudbury is part of Middlesex County, which happens to be the 3rd wealthiest county in the state and the 40th wealthiest in the country, with a median household income of $157,719. The elevated income level of residents has a direct impact on real estate prices—today the average list price is $675,000. That’s quite a leap from neighboring Framingham where the average list price is just $299,900.
If you look at the quick market facts below, you’ll see that inventory has dropped quite a bit in the last few years. In 2004/2005 there were nearly twice as many homes on the market as there were in 2011/2012. Additionally, the percent discount off the original price was much higher 2011/2012. So, while the median price did not change dramatically, there was more activity and fewer price discounts in 2004/2005.
More than anything else, one thing makes Sudbury a suburban stand out—education. Not only is the overall population one of the most educated in the state, its school system has achieved quite a name as well. In 2011, Sudbury’s school system ranked 4th in the state in classroom/academics and testing/achievement (according to Boston Magazine). Thus, young families are generally attracted to the area because it offers such a strong educational foundation in a small town setting.
Sudbury’s list of notable residents is quite extensive. In fact, Shaquille O’Neal lived there until June 2011 and had this to say to David Letterman about living there: “I signed kind of late, so I really didn’t have a chance to find a house, so I went on Google and put ‘big house outside of Boston,’ and I found this big 10-acre farmhouse, so . . . I love it. Wild turkeys, wild foxes, wild bears.’’
Could Sudbury be the place for you? Here are a few more quick facts to help you decide:
Restaurants and Eateries:
Real Estate Market Facts:
- Properties sold 268
- Median sale price $732,321
- Homes sold at an average of 98% of their list price
- Properties sold 154
- Median sale price $684,804
- Homes sold at an average of 96% of their list price
Things to Do/See:
- Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge According to their website, they are “open for wildlife observation, photography, hunting, fishing, environmental education and interpretation.”
- Longfellow’s Wayside Inn Oldest operating inn in the country.
- Martha-Mary Chapel One of six non-denominational chapels built around the country to pay tribute to Henry and Clara Ford’s mothers: Martha Bryant and Mary Ford.
- Average Commute time for residents is 37 minutes. The National Average is 28 minutes.
- Sudbury is 24.7 square miles
- Slightly more than 18,000 residents
- Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company, lived in Sudbury during parts of the 1920s and 1930s
- Eddie House, NBA champion with the Boston Celtics
- Shaquille O’Neal, retired NBA Player lived in Sudbury until June 2011
- Babe Ruth, baseball Hall of Famer lived on Dutton Road at a place called Home Plate Farm, formerly known as Elm Farm at the Perry homestead. Even after Ruth was traded to the New York Yankees he still wintered in Sudbury. (A footnote to the Curse of the Bambino claims that Babe Ruth’s piano rests at the bottom of Willis Pond in western Sudbury near what was once his home.)
- Mark Roopenian- Former NFL Linebacker
- Callie Thorne, actress on Rescue Me
- 4 elementary schools, 1 middle school
- 1 high school: since 2002, joined up with neighboring Lincoln to form the shared Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School (LSRHS), which is located in Sudbury.
The market in Sudbury is predominantly marked by larger, single family homes like this one. If you’ve got more of a modest price point in mind, there are several on the market like this one that might just be the home for you. And, keep in mind, if you buy through us, you are surely going to save!
Take a look through of all of the properties on the Sudbury market today. Which are your favorites?